Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rules for building a Fairy House?
- Fairy Houses must be constructed of all natural materials. For example sticks, bark, dry grasses, pebbles, shells, feathers, pine cones, and nuts.
- White/Hot Glues are permitted as a means to construct your home.
- Our fairies thrive in homes made without plastic elements, and with that, we encourage you to get creative with natures treasures to bring authentic detail to your house.
- Please be mindful of plants that are in their growing stages–ferns, mosses, and flowers. Just like our fairies, we are careful not to disrupt nature’s natural processes.
- Historic Spanish Point is not responsible for any damage or loss to fairy houses or personal items during this event.
Who can enter?
- Middle/High School
- Adult/Community Partner
A NOTE FOR GROUPS: Classrooms, after-school programs, clubs, and youth-serving organizations should enter based on the ages of the participants creating the Fairy House. For instance, if an after-school program of mostly Elementary aged students makes the entry, the registration qualifies for the Elementary category.
How do I enter?
1) Dropped off in person at Historic Spanish Point (337 N. Tamiami Trail, Osprey, FL 34229)
2) Mailed to Historic Spanish Point (337 N. Tamiami Trail, Osprey, FL 34229)
3) Scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include the subject line: “Fairy House entry“)
When can I drop off my entry?
- Thursday, February 21st | 8:30am-5:00pm
- Friday, February 22nd | 8:30am-5:00pm
Entries should be dropped off at Historic Spanish Point (337 N. Tamiami Trail, Osprey, FL 34229). We recommend anyone coming from north of the museum plan additional drive time due to road construction on US-41 nearby.
Entries can be dropped off by the person who made the Fairy House, a friend, relative, teacher or another responsible individual. We’ve even had school staff bring several classroom entries at once! What’s most important is that the person delivering the entry/entries knows the name(s) submitted with the registration. (Ex: “Scout Troop 100”, “Mrs. Jordan’s 3rd Grade Class” or “Sally Smith”)
How does the "People's Choice" competition work?
Attendees at the festival will write down their top pick for each category. The top three entries with the most votes will win prize packages
“People’s Choice” ballots will be closed at 3 pm on Sunday, February 24th. The winning entries will be announced at 4:00 pm. You do not need to be present to win and will be notified of your win via phone or email if you are unable to attend on that day.
Prize information is available in the downloadable Participant Packet.
When can I pick up my entry?
- Monday, February 25th | 9 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, February 26th | 9 AM – 5:00 PM
Any Fairy House not picked up during the designated times above will be donated to recycling.
Do I have to pay admission if I enter a Fairy House?
There is no free or discounted admission for participants in the Fairy House competition. Admission to the 2019 Fairy House Festival supports the mission and programs of Historic Spanish Point.